Austin Peay State University Beach Volleyball splits vs. Chattanooga
Atlanta, Georgia – The Austin Peay State University (APSU) beach volleyball team split its final two games at GSU Diggin’ Duels, beating Chattanooga, 4-1, before falling to Tampa, 4-1, at GSU Beach Volleyball Complex, Saturday.
Austin Peay (12-9) took an early lead over rival Chattanooga (11-10), with Elizabeth Wheat and Karli Graham easily winning Game 5 in straight sets. Caroline Waite and Janvier Buggs then pushed the APSU Governors lead to 2-0, winning in straight sets on the No. 5 line.
The Mocs got their only point of the game on the No. 2 line, knocking out Brooke Moore and Mikayla Powell in a marathon game. After Moore and Powell won the first set, Chattanooga’s Neva Clark and Paige Gallentine won the second set, 30-28, before taking the third set, 15-12.
Leading 2-1, Governors clinched the deciding point on the No. 1 line with Marlayna Bullington and Kelsey Mead winning in straight sets to secure the game. With the match decided, Demi McInnis and Tegan Seyring picked up another point for Austin Peay State University when they won in straight sets in Game 2.
In its second game of the day, Austin Peay State University lost a 4-1 decision to Tampa. Waite and Buggs picked up a straight-set victory in Game 4, but the Spartans were able to win every other game.
GSU Diggin’ Duels Day Two Results
Austin Peay beats. Chattanooga, 4-1
1. Marlayna Bullington/Kelsey Mead def. Baylee Young/Gylian Finch (UTC) 21-19, 22-20
2. Neva Clark/Paige Gallentine (UTC) defeated. Brooke Moore/Mikayla Powell14-21, 30-28, 15-12
3. Demi McInnis/Tegan Seyring defeated. Bailey Steger/Hanley Lomax (UTC) 24-22, 21-16
4. Caroline Waite/January Buggs defeated. Joy Courtright/Vic Cerino (UTC) 21-17, 21-15
5. Elizabeth Wheat/Karli Graham def. Madi Morris/Julia Davis (UTC) 21-11, 21-15
6. Morgan Rutledge/Maggie Keenan defeated. Maddi Myers-Osband/Kaye Gresham (UTC) 21-19, 19-21, 15-11
Next meeting for APSU Beach Volleyball
With its final regular season road trip in the books, Austin Peay State University’s beach volleyball team will host back-to-back tournaments, starting with the Govs Beach Bash on April 15-16 at Govs Beach. Volleyball Complex.
APSU Governors then wrap up the regular season with four conference games when they host OVC Weekend at Austin Peay on April 22-23.
For news and updates on all things Governors Beach Volleyball, follow on Twitter and Instagram or return to LetsGoPeay.com.