Chinese Didi Chuxing refutes “online rumors” of imminent suspension of service
Chinese carpooling platform Didi Chuxing on Saturday fended off online rumors that its services would be suspended from July 20.
“The claims that our ridesharing services would be suspended from July 20 were incorrect, and we reported the rumors to the public security organ and the Cyber Security Review Office,” the company said on Sina Weibo.
Didi Chuxing had 377 million annual active users and 13 million annual active drivers in China for the 12 months ending March 31, accounting respectively for 76.47% and 86.67% of the company’s global market, according to its June flyer.
For the whole of 2020 and the first quarter of 2021, 93.4% of Didi Chuxing’s operating revenue came from China, with the remaining 6.6% coming from other countries and regions.
In early July, the Cyber Security Review Office opened an investigation into the ridesharing platform over national data security, national security and public interest concerns.
New user registration requests will not be accepted until the review is complete to avoid further risk, the office said.
Authorities from seven Chinese departments, including the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), dispatched a joint team on Friday to conduct an on-site cybersecurity review in DiDi Global. Didi Chuxing is the flagship product of DiDi Global.
The move came after the CAC ordered app stores earlier this month to remove Didi Chuxing due to “serious” violations of laws and regulations regarding the collection and use of personal information.